Do you ever feel frustrated by glitches and blips during the shipment of your goods?
Are you wondering how you can ensure a smooth and successful transit every time?
Who doesn’t? Even though there are often many steps involved in getting your goods from A to B, paying attention to a few key areas can greatly increase your chances of success.
The two most important – and powerful – tips we can offer are to…
- Be as thorough and attentive as possible when filling out your customs and transport documents, and
- Partner with an experienced and trusted customs broker who can guide you along the way.
It may not be the most glamorous part of your business, but preparing all your shipping and customs documents with a perfectionist’s eye for detail is probably the single most effective thing you can do to ensure smooth transit of your goods. Savvy importers and exporters will have a process in place and experienced staff to carry it out.
Keeping these considerations in mind will help ensure you get it right:
- Know which documents are required for your goods to clear at the border. Because requirements can vary greatly for different types of goods, check with Customs – or your broker – to make sure you understand exactly what’s needed, especially if shipping a new product for the first time.
- Complete the paperwork yourself as much as possible. It may be tempting to leave it for someone else farther down the supply chain, but doing it yourself will give you better certainty that everything was done correctly.
- Maintain close communication with the transportation firm(s) involved in carrying your goods. This is becoming ever-easier with apps and technology that allow to-the-moment updates so you can know where your goods are at all times.
Partnering with a trusted advisor who has a thorough understanding of your business needs will go a long way to ensuring your peace of mind – and successful shipment of your goods. There are plenty of qualified brokers out there. If you don’t already have one – or if you feel the fit is not quite right – it’s worth it to take the time to find a broker who will work best for you.
The following considerations will help you make the most of your relationship with your broker:
- Find a broker with plenty of experience shipping the goods you’re moving. Customs and shipping requirements can change over time and for different products so find someone who understands your business needs.
- Choose a broker who’s connected to carriers through mobile apps and can offer in-transit information on a shipment's status.
- Choose a broker with a local presence who’s readily available to quickly resolve any problems that may arise.
- Email the required documents and/or set up an electronic interface with your broker, so you’re not relying on outdated paper documentation methods.
We understand how essential it is for your goods to ship on time and on budget. Our experienced brokers make your shipping success a priority. Find out how we can help speaking with one of our trusted professionals.
Information provided by: Canadian Customs Dept. - Cole International