Request Info

Importing wooden articles into Canada

If you’re a regular reader of our blog, you might remember an earlier entry on importing wood items into Canada. This one seemed to strike a chord, so we’re reposting some of the key information. If you’re one of many with lingering uncertainty about the requirements around importing wood items, read on.
The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) works closely with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) to prevent the introduction of invasive pests to Canada. Introduced pests can cause serious damage to our natural resources so the government takes their protection seriously. And, because wood and wood-containing products could potentially harbour pests, these items are watched very closely at the border.
Blog_Importing wooden articles into Canada_123rf_61880536_s
In order to be imported, most wooden articles require one or more of the following:
  • A Plant Protection Import Permit, issued by the CFIA
  • A Phytosanitary Certificate, certified by the National Plant Protection Organization (NPPO) of the exporting country
  • A Phytosanitary Certificate for Re-export, certified by the USDA (for certain wood products imported from the U.S.)
The CFIA website provides information on entry requirements for wood packing material and for non-processed wood materials. Generally, processed wood products (those that have been subjected to conditions such as heat, glue or pressure) are exempt from the strict import requirements. Keep in mind, though, that the import requirements and the list of exempted items can change over time.
Fortunately, you don’t have to be an expert in this. Contact us today and let our knowledgeable and professional customs brokers make your import experience a breeze.
 Contact us today!
Information provided by: Customs Brokerage Dept. - Cole International
Back to blog list