Part 1 of this series walked you through importing vintage vehicles from Canada to the U.S. This week, we discuss bringing a vintage vehicle to Canada from the U.S.
Step 1. Make sure you're allowed to import it
As long as the vehicle is at least 15 years old, you’ll be able to import it into Canada without worrying about the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) or Transport Canada, which regulates the importation of vehicles into Canada.
If the vehicle is more than 25 years old and in its original condition (no modifications), it can also come in duty free.
Step 2. Get your documents in order
For vintage cars, the documents you need include:
- Original title, manufacturer's statement of origin, certificate of origin, or a certificate of no title
- Bill of sale
- CUSMA certificate (commercial U.S. imports only)
- Copies of export invoices and certificate
Step 3. File your AES early
You will need to file with the U.S. Custom and Border Protection Automated Export System or AES at least 72 hours in advance of reaching the border.
- You will be issued an Internal Transaction Number when the AES is accepted. This number will accompany your request to start the 72-hour export notice.
- You will also need to submit the correct documents 72 hours before you import the vehicle into Canada from the U.S.
- Your documents will need to be submitted to the Canada Border Service Agency when you reach the first point of entry into Canada, as well.
Step 4. Choose your shipping method
Just like importing a vintage vehicle from Canada to the U.S., you need to choose the method of shipping: either driving the car across the border or shipping it. Read more about those choices here.
If you choose to have your vintage vehicle shipped, an enclosed shipping option is likely the best choice.
Please note, along with these steps, you will likely need to pass an inspection and register the vehicle in Canada. Make sure to keep records of everything you did throughout the process, just in case.
If you don't want to worry about making a mistake with the paperwork or running into issues with importing a vintage car into Canada, hire a Customs broker. At Cole International, we provide years of experience with importing vintage vehicles from the U.S. to Canada.
Our team will ensure your vehicle makes it safely across the border.
Importing vintage cars. It's what we do.